Translate

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

October 4, 2017




Maybe we should split up. Separate for good. I think it would be for good, you know? You can believe what you want, do what you want, spend your money your own way and I can do the same. We don’t have to keep tripping over each other like this, do we? Tripping? What we’re doing is barreling, careening, spilling our guts over each other.

I am serious. And I’m exhausted. My throat is raw from all the talking, shouting, crying. My heart aches. I keep getting that pain you get in your upper back when you’ve been unbearably tense day after day. Do you have that pain, too? Or are you cool with all this? No, I didn’t think so. I see serious signs of disarray in you. I hear panic in your bluster.

Who will object? The way things are now, our lives would hardly be any worse financially. We don’t have big money to worry about. We’ll keep floundering, failing, bouncing back a little now and again, only we can do all that separately and forget this together thing. It doesn’t work. It doesn’t work.

It might be best to keep this on the QT until we’ve made plans. My people have been meeting for years and are almost ready to talk about separation on the record. We are prepared to negotiate and believe me, for the sake of the children, we’re prepared to compromise when we absolutely must. You have most of the guns; that’s given. We have most of the scientists, though, and whether or not you credit them much, they will be a big advantage if violence comes into play. We don’t want that to happen, but we will defend ourselves. We’ve always been ready and willing to defend ourselves.

Well, I just googled it and there are 325,000,000 million, give or take. Some of those, a tiny percent, won’t be affected whatever the rest of us try. They’ll go on being the ruling class and may not even choose sides. Probably won’t. Hey, we can do five or six separations. Why not? We’ll become the Divided States of America. Yes, yes, calm bloody down! Of course, we can choose new names. We can have a gigantic re-do, names and all. I am serious. Let’s split up.

2 comments:

david coyote said...


Love this piece, Nonnie - you have a very sharp pen.
Split up? I already have...left this soiled nation
of greed and thieved wealth to nurture wellness.

I'll come back again just to re-read it. My state
is a state of mind without politicians.

Rick Tucker said...

This is a powerful work. It's odd that we keep dancing around the edge, hoping if we come at it from another angle these divisions can be resolved, alleviated. So far, nope. On the plus side this bluster and anger and fear and paranoia is always at its worst right after each of the events. We get back to our holding patterns and endure afterwards. What concerns me is the way we have cut ourselves off from the world when it comes to gun violence, poverty, healthcare and corporate corruption in our politics. We think we're an island as a people when we most certainly are not.
As for separating... it's an idea, one we've all been considering on both sides. However, the life afterwards is tenuous. Is it that fear that's keeps us together so miserably? If so, our dysfunction is so deep we may all well die, with our fear and our convictions unresolved, much less free.


Rick
Pembroke Pines, FL